Business Licenses


374 East Main
Vernal, UT
(435) 789-2255
Fax: (435) 781-7100


M-F 8:00 - 5:00
excluding all State & Federal Holidays


GENERAL INFORMATION: A valid Vernal City business license is required for all businesses that are located within the Vernal City corporation limits. The definition of business includes every craft, trade, occupation, profession or activity engaged in the purpose of gain or economic profit.

The purpose of a business license is to regulate and license businesses within the corporate limits of Vernal City; to determine if businesses are operating within applicable laws and ordinances; to maintain a safe environment for the general public; and to assure that zoning, building, and fire codes are enforced.

Licenses are not transferable from address to address, nor from owner to owner. Any change of location, ownership or corporate information requires a new application to be submitted. Minor changes such as mailing address can be called into the city office.

General and Major Home Business Licenses are valid for one calendar year, from January 1 to December 31. Regardless of when the license was first obtained, all licenses expire on December 31 of each year and must be renewed on an annual basis. If any license fee is not paid within thirty (30) days of the due date of January 1, a penalty of twenty-five (25) percent of license fee will be added to the original amount, if not paid within sixty (60) days of the due date, an additional twenty-five (25) percent will be added.

APPLICATION INFORMATIONAll new applications for business licenses shall be submitted with the requisite license fee. Fees for licenses vary according to number of employees and license type. Please visit the fee schedule page for details. Fees are due at the time of submitting an application. Please be aware Included in the fee is a non-refundable application fee of fifty dollars ($50.00) should a license not be approved.

The Business License forms on the right of this page are available for download, but cannot be submitted through the website.

The following information will be required on the application (Please make sure application is complete):

  • Business name
  • Physical street location
  • Business phone number
  • Mailing address
  • Owner/partner(s) name, address & phone
  • List of corporate officers if applicable
  • After hours emergency contact name and number
  • Property Owner Information
  • Federal Identification number
  • Sales Tax number
  • Copy of Professional/occupational license, if applicable
  • Proof of Registration with Utah Department of Commerce Business Registration.

Certain business may also be required to provide surety bonds or undergo background investigations.

Once the application is completed and has been submitted, it is forwarded to the following departments for approval: Fire, Health, Police, Zoning & Building. The approval of these departments may depend on a site inspection. The business license clerk must receive approval from the above listed departments in order to issue a business license.

When all applicable departments have approved the application, a business license will be issued. The process may take up to 21 days.





Rachel Tribe
Business License Clerk


Registration of a Business Name
All entities doing business in Utah under an assumed business name must register with the State of Utah, Department of Commerce. If you are using your own name as your business name it will not need to be registered. A filing fee is charged based upon the type of organization. The Department of Commerce is located at:

State of Utah Department of Commerce
160 East 300 South
Salt Lake City, 84111
Phone: 801-530-4849 Toll free (in state only): 800-721-7233

State Tax Information
Most businesses are required to collect and remit sales tax for goods (and some services) they provide to consumers. For information related to income tax, sales and use taxes, and other applicable state taxes as well as information concerning applications for a state tax number may be obtained from the Utah State Tax Commission. The Utah State Tax Commission is located at:

Utah State Commission
2540 Washington Boulevard
6th Floor
Ogden, UT 84401

TriCounty Health
Contact the Health Department for information if you will be running a business that has food services. Please contact Weber-Morgan Health Services at:

TriCounty Health
133 South 500 East
Vernal, UT 84078
Phone: 435-247-1177

State Professional License
Under certain circumstances, a special State license (DOPL) may be required for your business. Usually, only professionals need a state business license, i.e. CPA's, cosmetologist, contractors etc. Contact the State Professional License at:

State Professional License
P.O. Box 146741
Salt Lake City, UT 84111
Phone: 801-530-6628

Contact the State if you will be conducting a business that involves bakeries, convenience stores, grocery stores, or the application of pesticides. Please contact the Utah Department of Agriculture and Food at:

Utah Department of Agriculture and Food
350 N Redwood Road
Salt Lake City, UT 84114
Phone: 801-538-7100

Utah State Child Care
Contact the State Office of Licensing if you plan on opening a child care/day care center at your home or in a commercial location. Please contact the State Office of Licensing at:

State Office of Licensing
3760 S Highland Drive
Number 247
Salt Lake City, UT 84106
Phone: 801-273-6617
Toll Free: 888-287-3704